Monday, March 30, 2015

Taiwan (九份) study

A street scene from the mountain town of Jiu Fen, this was a large (for me) study from a few months ago.  I'm pretty happy with it - I think a lot of things kind of came together the right way...surprisingly!  Watercolor with a bit of gouache where things got out of control.  A lot of wet into wet, and wet into damp.

I was using my new big squirrel hair mop brush for the first time and it was terrifying and exhilerating.  Neat brush - you can load a ton of pigment in it for large area washes, but at the same time the tip holds a really nice point for details.  I figure this is a good brush for broad yet sufficiently detailed/controlled strokes in the initial phase of a painting..maybe a little further too...Must do more of this sort of thing...


No comments: