Tuesday, March 10, 2015

sketchbook preview

I'm participating in the Sketchbook Project this year (last year a group of friends, my wife, and I had planned to submit a group book, but ultimately we couldn't quite get it together.  I think there was disappointment for some, relief for others...not naming names!)

I saw a lot of really clever, charming and creative sketchbook submissions from the last travelling exhibit, but I felt doing the same would stress me out too much (in other words, I'm too lazy, haha!)  Instead, I wanted it to reflect the sort of thing that normally shows up in my sketchbooks.  Here are a couple of the pages:



Like my much of my normal sketchbook work, these are drawn from direct observation (these are from the California Academy of Sciences where there was an excellent skull exhibition) with brush pen, kind of recklessly, so if I make mistakes (usually), there's no going back.  The pages are toned with water color and then further enhanced (defaced?) with more washes and thick gouache.

Anyhow, it's a traveling exhibit, with submissions from really all sorts of people (the ones from kids are the best!) from all over the world, and it's really kind of neat!  Check it out if it comes to a town near you, and look for my book if so inclined.  I think sketchbooks are also available to view online.

No comments: